Facebook is not slowing down in its effort to create engaging spaces and experiences for the platform’s users. A recent batch of platform updates focused on Facebook Groups.
Facebook Group admins can now:
- Customize the look and feel of Groups by changing color themes, post backgrounds and fonts.
- Create a unique Group culture by hand-picking reaction emojis.
- Enable preset collections of post formats, badges and admin tools.
- Automatically send unique welcome messages to new users.
- Pin announcements in a new Featured section that all users will see when they first open a Group.
Facebook is also making it easier for Group members to post in Groups. A new easy-access post button will move as users browse the Group, eliminating the need to scroll all the way back up to write a post.
Other features that are still in the testing phase include:
- Subgroups for specific topics, regions and occasions
- Community fundraisers for group projects or to show appreciation to admins and moderators running a Group
- Shops for Group merch
- Paid subgroups that members can join on an opt-in subscription basis
Facebook also revealed what’s in the pipeline for Facebook Groups. “Coming soon” features include:
- Community awards (e.g. Insightful, Uplifting, Fun) that users will be able to add to specific posts, making the Group’s best content more visible
- Community chats allowing users to connect on Facebook and Messenger in real-time
- Recurring events for easier planning of regular get togethers, virtual or in-person