Facebook has rolled out Facebook Neighborhoods, “a dedicated space within the Facebook app designed to help you connect with your neighbors, participate in your local community and discover new places nearby,” to Canada with promises of a U.S. rollout coming soon.
Many consider Neighborhoods to be a Nextdoor clone. Users need to be 18+ to join and can create a separate subprofile on Neighborhoods with a new bio and customized interests. Then, you can join your own neighborhood and other nearby neighborhoods to do whatever you usually do on Nextdoor, like connect with local birdwatchers of complain about the youths.
Here’s some other things you can do on Facebook Neighborhoods:
- Get local recommendations for coffee shops, restaurants, etc. with the Recommendations feature
- Vote on your favorite businesses with Neighborhoods Favorite Polls
- Create groups within Neighborhoods to connect with folks with similar interests
- Answer Neighborhood Questions in a dedicated feed
- Become an official neighborhood “Socializer” and spark conversation