While marketing can definitely be an art (we see you, Wendy’s Twitter), in this business, cold hard numbers matter, too. To optimize social media ad campaigns
and maximize success, social media marketers need to know their stats and understand the social media landscape on a quantitative level.
Social media statistics can inform your ads strategy, let you know if you should be using an ad platform, and teach you about communicating well with your target market. If you’re building your social media ad game plan for 2023, here are the key numbers that will guide you to victory.
Bonus: Use our free Facebook Ads budget calculator to figure out exactly how much you need to spend to get the results you want. Let us do the math for you!
Social media advertising is a whole different beast from organic social media. Elsewhere on the blog, we’ve taken the time to compile a ton of social media stats, but if you’re looking for specific statistics about social media advertising, you’re in the right place.
- More than 4.74 billion people across the world use social media, and in 2022, the number of social media users increased by 4.2%.
- Ad spending on social media it more than $173 billion in 2022.
- In 2023, ad spending on social media is projected to reach more than $268 billion.
- Social video advertising is expected to reach $79.28 billion in 2024.
- There was a 12% increase in social spending in Q3 2022 compared with Q3 2021.
- Social media accounted for 33% of all digital advertising spending in 2022.
- Social media advertising is the second biggest market in digital ads.
- The U.S. is the largest social media ad market in the world.
- Overall, user trust in social media platforms declined in 2022.
- The CPM of social media advertising in the third quarter of 2022 was $8.15 USD.
- By the end of 2022, the volume of social media ad impressions was more than 30% higher than the previous year.
- The social media ad click-through rate worldwide is 1.2%.
- In 2022, social media video ad spending grew by 20.1% to $24.35 billion.
As the eighth most-visited website in the world, the fourth most popular social media platform in the world, and the number-one most-downloaded app in the world, Instagram has some obvious appeal. But before you kick off your Instagram ad campaign, get familiar with the demographics and market potential.
- Instagram’s ad revenue is predicted to be $50.58 billion in 2023. (For comparison, Facebook’s $71.32 billion.)
- Instagram ads’ CPM increased by 17% in Q3 2022. In the last two years, they increased by 55%.
- eMarketer predicts Instagram’s ad revenue will grow 12.1% this year while Facebook’s falls by 1.2%.
- 61% of Instagram’s advertising audience is aged 18 to 34, making it the perfect avenue for advertisers looking to reach a Gen Z or Millennial audience.
- Less than 7% of Instagram’s advertising audience is over 55, so if you’re looking to reach Boomers, this may not be the best platform for you.
- Instagram’s advertising audience is slightly more skewed towards male users than female users, with 52.4% of the advertising audience identifying as male.
- Instagram ads can reach 76% of the population aged 13+ in Turkey. The next biggest markets are Argentina (66.5%)and 65.9% in Brazil (65.9%).
- In the U.S., Instagram’s ad penetration is 51.4%. The UK and Canada come in at 51.9% and 49.4%, respectively.
With 2.93 billion monthly active users, Facebook remains a central part of most people’s internet experience. In fact, 36.7% of the world’s population uses the app each month. So despite a fairly tumultuous year, the fact is Facebook remains one of the world’s most valuable brands. If you’re interested in advertising on Facebook in 2023, here’s what you need to know.
- Facebook ad revenue is expected to grow to $75.11 billion in 2024.
- Facebook’s potential advertising reach is 2.08 billion people.
- Facebook ads reach 62.6% of all Americans aged 13+.
- The potential ad audience for Facebook Reels is 697.1 million people, though Reels only accounted for 3.3% of ad impressions on the platform in 2022.
- For Stories, there’s a potential ad audience of 1.25 billion users.
- Over on Facebook Marketplace, there’s a potential audience of 495.7 million users for your ads.
- 18.7% of Facebook’s ad audience is in Southeast Asia. (The next-largest group is Southern America at 12.1%.)
- 40% of Facebook advertisers use the Click-to-Messaging format: a smart way to keep customer interactions on the platform.
- Facebook ads reach 33.3% of the global population over the age of 13.
- Facebook’s ad audience is 56.4% male.
- Despite its reputation as a place for Baby Boomers to thrive, only 12.5% of Facebook’s ad audience is over the age of 55.
- The largest demographic of Facebook users is between 25 and 44: a whopping 48.8%. Hello, Millennials!
- The average price per ad decreased by 18% in Q3 2022.
- For the five days between Thanksgiving and Cyber Monday, Facebook’s CPM dropped 37% y-o-y.
After the public takeover of Twitter by billionaire Elon Musk in late 2022, the social networking platform is currently in a bit of a state of flux. But one thing we can assume is that it’s going to continue to be an important part of the social media landscape. After all, it was the sixth-most visited website in the world as of October 2022, with more than 63.7 billion monthly visits from 1.6 billion unique users. That kind of love (or passionate habit?) isn’t going anywhere. Read on for the key Twitter advertising stats marketers should know in 2023.
- Twitter’s ad revenue reached $6 billion USD in 2022.
- The total potential reach for ads on Twitter is 544.5 million (that’s 6.8% of the total population).
- Ad reach on Twitter grew 12% quarter over quarter last year.
- Ads on Twitter reach 10.7% of all internet users.
- 74.3 of Twitter’s ad audience identifies as male (and 25.7% identify as female).
- The regions with the largest eligible reach rate on Twitter are Singapore (65.1%), Japan (60%), and Saudi Arabia (55.5%).
- Users will spend at least 6 minutes per day on Twitter in 2023.
- Twitter ads have a reach of 91.7 million people in the United States.
- Twitter’s CPM is the lowest out of all the major platforms, with an average CPM of $6.46.
- 26% of people spend more time looking at ads on Twitter vs. other leading platforms.
- Twitter has 237.8 million monetizable daily active users.
The messaging app’s temporary stories have been copied by almost every other platform at this point, but Snapchat’s appeal among teenagers and Gen Z is still going strong. As of October 2022, Snapchat has 576 million users total and an impressive 347 million daily active users. This is obviously still a place to see and be seen, so if you’re interested in exploring Snapchat advertising options, get familiar with these Snapchat ad stats.
- Snapchat has a potential reach of 575.7 million people (11.4% of all internet users), with a year-over-year increase of ad reach of 7% in 2022.
- After watching an ad on Snapchat, users are 34% more likely to purchase the products advertised themselves and 45% more likely to recommend a brand to their friends.
- The 35-plus market is growing for Snapchat advertisers: year over year, the app has seen a 40% increase in daily average time spent engaging with shows and publisher content.
- While Snapchat advertising makes up less than 2% of the U.S. digital ad market, the app’s ads reach nearly half of U.S. smartphone users.
- The country with the largest eligible ad reach on Snapchat is Saudi Arabia.
- Some other impressive international numbers: India has the biggest Snapchat advertising audience of all, at 145 million, while the U.S. boasts 107 million.
- Ads that are 5 to 6 seconds long have the best performance, according to Snapchat, and surprisingly, 64% of Snapchat ads are viewed with sound on.
- Ad recall for Gen Z on Snapchat is higher than other generational cohorts… despite the fact these users spend less time watching each ad: 55% of Gen Z can recall an ad they watched for less than 2 seconds.
LinkedIn turns 20 years old this year (note to self: send flowers!) and has collected more than 900 million members in 200 countries in the process. Sure, that’s a drop in the bucket compared to Facebook or Instagram, but the career-oriented social network has its own unique strengths. If you’re looking to reach LinkedIn’s distinct audience with your social media advertising strategy, read on for the numbers you need to know.
- LinkedIn has a potential ad reach of 857.1 million (that’s 10.7% of the total population).
- LinkedIn’s potential ad reach accounts for 16.9% of total internet users.
- Users on LinkedIn skew male, with a 56.2% ad reach out of the total LinkedIn ad reach.
- LinkedIn’s ad reach is growing, slowly but surely: it achieved 0.9% quarter-on-quarter growth in 2022.
- LinkedIn’s advertising audience is overwhelmingly in the 25- to 34-year-old range.
- Just 2.9% of LinkedIn’s advertising audience is older than 55.
- The regions with the largest eligible ad reach are the U.A.E (80.6% of the population aged 18+) followed by the U.S. (71.8%) and Singapore (70.2%).
- Despite that, the U.S. has the largest LinkedIn advertising audience by pure numbers, with 190 million users.
- 19% of marketers agree that LinkedIn is the most important social media platform for their business.
Youtube is still the king of video-sharing sites (sorry, TikTok), so it’s no surprise that the platform is a powerful option for advertisers, too.
- Youtube has a potential reach of 2.51 billion (that’s 31.5% of the total population and 49.6% of total internet users).
- YouTube has experienced 9.8% growth, year over year, in ad reach.
- 2.06 billion YouTube viewers are over 18 years old.
- 54.3% of YouTube’s advertising audience identifies as male.
- Worldwide ad revenue for YouTube as of the third quarter of 2022 was more than $7 billion USD.
- Mobile YouTube ads are 84% more likely to capture viewer attention than a traditional TV commercial.
- 59% of Youtube viewers think YouTube ads are more relevant to their interests than those on television or streaming services.
- YouTube demographics are more evenly spread than other social networks, with 29% of the advertising audience over 45 years of age.
- On the flip side of that: 35.8% of YouTube’s audience falls into the 18 to 34 age range.
- YouTube’s reach rate for audiences 18+ is highest in U.A.E., where it has a potential reach of 98.3%. The runner-up is the Netherlands, with 92.5% reach.
- India has the largest YouTube reach, with an advertising audience 467 million.
Since its launch in 2016, TikTok has been downloaded 3.3 billion times (and counting), with 672 million downloads in 2022 alone. The app is clearly no flash in the pan, and marketers who still see it as a depository for frivolous dance memes are missing some serious business opportunities. If you’re curious about advertising on TikTok and reaching 50 million active daily users, it’s time to dive into some numbers.
- In the U.S., TikTok ads have a potential reach of 109,538,000. Brazil is the next biggest ad reach market (76 mill+), followed by Indonesia (69+).
- TikTok has 50 million daily active users, who use the app for an average of 1.5 hours every single day.
- TikTok has a potential ad reach of 945.2 million (among users aged 18+)… That’s an increased ad reach of 14.6% (121 million) since 2021.
- 36.9% of TikTok’s advertising audience is female in the 18-34-year-old range; 32.8% are males in this valuable demo.
- 30.4% of Tiktok’s advertising audience is aged 35 and up… including 5.5% in the 55+ category.
- TikTok’s advertising audience skews female, with 53.1% of its users identifying this way.
- The hashtag #tiktokmademebuyit has 31.8 billion lifetime views.
- 2 in 3 shoppers say they get inspired to buy something on TikTok even when they’re not actively shopping.
- TikTok Live is particularly effective: 50% of TikTok users have bought something after watching a Live.
We’re really just scratching the surface with these social media advertising statistics — there’s a whole world of social media stats to geek out over. And if you’re feeling overwhelmed, just take a deep breath and binge-watch Fridgeworthy until you’re cool, calm, collected, and ready to get back into the thrilling world of social media ads.
Save time managing your social media presence with Hootsuite. From a single dashboard, you can publish and schedule posts, find relevant conversions, engage the audience, measure results, and more. Try it free today.